Thursday, September 28, 2006

A weird thing happened today

As I was listening to a customer on the phone blabber and jabber
on the about how upset she was that the website didn't cater to her
needs and wants and how life is so difficult when you're
almost 70 years old and just really bored all the time and have to call
1-800 numbers to occupy your time, something happened.This guy
on my campaign, Darryl, had just walked to his desk,
setting down a fresh coffee.

As he did that, and the customer blabbered away in my ear, the smell
of the coffee triggered something as I shut my eyes and suddenly
pictured my Grandma's house. It's almost as if I Happy Gilmored and found
my 'happy place'. It was strange. I was in my Grand's house, on
35 Linden Terrace, on the landing of the stairs, between the first
and second floors, and the sun was shining in the stained glass window.
Another thought that the coffee smell triggered was the fact that everytime
I ever had coffee at Gramma Betty's, especially at Christmas and other
holidays, we would drink from these clear glass mugs. I always
thought the mugs were neat as a kid because you could see the colour
of the coffee change from the outside when someone put cream or milk
into it, making dark colours swirling and pleasant smells abounding.

Our extended family gatherings really revolved around that big old
house on Linden Terrace in Ottawa. Last Christmas was the first time
my dad's side of the family was without Gramma Betty. She will be
continually missed. I guess one of the keys to enjoying life is really
soaking up the presence of those around you whom you love and
respect. Yesterday, one of my workmates was rushed out of the office
on a stretcher. I got to go see him last night, briefly, and his vitals
are good - no one really knows what it was or how to identify it.
Hopefully, he'll be okay. It really served as a reminder of the fleeting
sensation that is this life. Some of us have hope, some of us
have none, and here we all are, together.

website statistics