Saturday, January 10, 2009

Blue Box, Black Box

Sometimes I wonder what we do when we actually recycle. I know
there are studies and plants and environmental-friendly systematics
that tell us it's a good thing...but is it really? Where the heck is all
of this non-perishable stuff going?

I picture an old man, smoking a corn cob pipe, who is sitting atop
of a gigantic heap of recycling somewhere...probably in Southern
Vermont. He is obsessed with plastics, newspapers, glass bottles
and the metal lining in chip bags. His family forgot about him long
ago. He sits atop his heap and he chuckles at the world: 'HA!
Recycling' he says, as he takes a puff from the pipe. 'What a
sham. Thank you Al Gore. Thank you tree-huggers. Thank you
green party. Because of you, I can sit up here and view the
world from my mountain of junk.'

Moral of the story: Let's keep recycling. The man from Vermont
never has enough.

website statistics