Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Rap Music

What happened to this medium of music? Yes - at one point
in my life, I was a rapper. Okay? Do I have to answer that
question forever? But seriously - rap music used to be a
medium that voiced the ills of the world, the wrongs of
society and the death of caged-in musical stylistics. Now,
it's a whore of a thing.

Some of my housemates (the homies that live 2 floors up)
recorded some of their own rap recently and it's so
horrible that every time I hear it, I want to release a full
length album of rap music and let them know what it was
really all about back in the day:
1. The problems facing our world
2. Dissing other rappers
3. Using the power of words to overcome

Some people say that Snoop and others found a free form of
sexual expression in rap music and put it on display. I'm
calling bullshit. In fact, there are so many rappers now (my
housemates included) who can't even rap on BEAT! That
used to be the whole POINT! To be able to rap rhythmically
and poignantly was what that art form stood for...

It's trashed. There are many who have tried to steer it back
on course...but there are so many more who continue to veer
it off course.

Do I dare try?

website statistics