Thursday, January 01, 2009

The Harkening (featuring Pedro The Lion)


It's time to dig deep...to plant roots and set in for the deadly winter.
It's a new year and it's dang well time for new things. Although the
ground is covered in an icy, white-crusted mess and all things living
seem to wither, there is a life deep below. There is a waiting for new
soil. As the bleeding cymbals of Pedro The Lion's 'Second Best' perk
the pleasure centers of my mind, I have realized that in some ways,
I have fallen short - I have sold out.

I am speaking in terms of writing. 

I have written for many publications now and have taken up the side
career of a freelance journalist for a some time. All throughout 
university, I learned early on that if I only wrote within the equation-
based frame of what the professor wanted, I would succeed. This 
took no talent...and for the most part....my writing was lifeless. 
A darkened void that only showed my pale reflection in every
tainted word. I knew it at the time...but I let it slide in order to
attain these things we call 'grades'.

Since university, I have found a few milieus to write within and
some of them have been amazing. Others, though, have been shabbily
organized, poorly managed and pits of A.D.D.-stylized, web-market
melodrama; soap-boxers and throne-shiners. Sure - volunteer 
writing should be about the heart. I've heard that argument many
times over. It's hard to find a pulse, though, when critical thought
and suggestions that pertain to how to help a specific web-publication
are taken as an attack by the purveyor-in-chief of that same website.

I'm done wasting my time. I'm going to write from the heart and
go for the jugular of 'what lies beneath'. It might get a little flowery
and muddled sometimes, but I'm hoping to come out on the other
side...to a place where truth will reign supreme.

Pedro will help me...along with many others. 

Happy New Year.

I am going to blog every day this coming year.
You have my word.

website statistics