Monday, March 09, 2009

Connectivity
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/FOT/FFPOFP38~Coney-Island-1945-Posters.jpg
Life can be lonely and we can find ourselves looking for community
and connection in many different ways. Even in the midst of a sea
of people, we may not be very plugged into that many people.

I've been fortunate enough to meet some great people in my life
and these people have run the race beside me - supporting me
and cheering me on. It is a very fulfilling and rewarding thing. This
year, especially, I've been blessed to meet some new musician
friends within Ottawa. There is a great and emergent scene
happening here. I like most musicians - they are my kinda peeps.
Then again, musicians can be real pricks, too. Nevermind.

My friend Meredith opened for Jim Bryson last night. Meredith
is a great and burgeoning singer/songwriter. I've also come to
know (and work in the same building with) another guy named
Dean. Dean has been an awesome guy to get to know and
has helped me form some great and creative work (basically
for free) in his pro studio. He is also a great dude just to have
a beer with. I also met Marc Charron today. Marc is a different
fellow...but he is someone you won't forget meeting. He is
passionate about music and loves to play live or just listen
to old Phish tapes.

I have also been blessed to be a part of musical family. My
brother has been a top-shelf bassist for years and can play
a mean guitar and hard drumbeat. If he gets his stuff together
with some guys he's playing with now, it will be interesting
to see what happens with his music career.

Music is my heart. It is the centre of my being and it is what
I live for. It breaks your heart. It gets your hopes up. It can
let you down, hard. It makes me work. It helps me to create.

I'm glad to be a part of whatever it is that is going down
here in O town. I'll keep ya posted. My friend Derrick's
band (The Gentlemen Husbands) are supposedly playing
a gig tonight at Zaphod's. It's free. Come out if you can.

Should be good.

website statistics