Tuesday, April 07, 2009

The Bass Lines In My Head

I'd like to be a full time bassist for a band, someday, as a side
project. The electric bass fascinates me in many ways. The first
one I ever played was a tiny white one that my friend Jeff got 
for me so we could play Tom Petty and AC/DC covers in a
band together. Our band was called 'Natural Bridge'. I had no
clue how to play bass (and mostly left it to Jason who was our
main bass player) but when I did, I remember feeling 
enraptured by the simplicity and the power of the instrument.
Over time, I realized how a slight change (i.e. using a pick,
using a fingertip or palm-muting) could make such a massive
degree of inflection in the overall sound. Later on in my
twenties, I became a decent bass player because I think I
started to understand how to manipulate it. Still - I'm 
nowhere near the degree of the ultra-talented bassists in 
this world (i.e. Juan Nelson above, Les Claypool, Chris 
Murphy, my brother Adam, Landon, etc.).

The bass is a key element to any band, though. It provides 
glue. It provides framework. It is not glamourous but it must 
be done in order to fill out the sound. Good bass players
are loyal and hard-working and understand the ethics of
music.

I have a bass-line in my mind (as I often do) that is going
to make the beginnings of a decent song someday (I hope). 
Some of the songs I love most are ones that feature a 
solid, full-tone, driving bass-line that is well recorded.

And for all of you purists out there, please don't rip into
me re: some moral spew about 'how the upright bass beats
the electric' because frankly, you know in your hearts
that you're wrong. The fruit of this instrument comes from
an electrical charge once it is plugged into a quarter 
inch cable and a floor-welded amp (preferrably a 
Peavey). Good vibrations.

Good bass-lines to you all.

website statistics