Friday, April 10, 2009

Oh Baby!

It seems that all of my friends are having babies. This is a stage
of life that all of us must go through at some point and for me,
that stage is definitely ever-present. Currently, I know 6 couples
who are all expecting children between the months of June to
December. That's some pretty serious baby-making. 5 other
sets of couples have already had babies between last October
to this past March. I'm not joking.

I did, however, already go through a pretty serious baby-boom
stage a few years back with my older sets of friends. It's hard 
to know how to support my friends in this time. I know that
I'll have kids eventually (God-willing) but it's hard for me
to even remember the names of the new family members 
after a while because it all seems to happen in succession
without much spacing.

I want to want to have children. Right now, Sarah and I are
discussing this a lot and we haven't come to a solid conclusion.
I think there are too many people who thrust themselves
into parenthood without enough calculation or meditation.
We also feel that too many people are having children 'just
to get it done' and move on to the next stage of life. For me,
I think that childbirth is a serious-ass miracle and I want to
be able to fully invest into that human being that emerges
from my wife's womb. My friends who have done it right,
though (which is to say all of them), have had the most open
attitudes about the experience of birthing and rearing new
human beings and have understood the sacrifice of really
loving another sack of bones and flesh without condition -
learning as they go. 

For all of my friends who have had or who are about to have
kids, I salute you. Let me know how I can back you up.


website statistics