Monday, July 20, 2009

Over-Reading The Putting Green
Sometimes, you don't need to put as much thought and analysis into
life as much as you do. An example of this can be found in the game
of golf. There is something that is centered around terminology
which says something to the effect of 'For as much as you read the
bumps, lines and hills on a green, there is only a straight line
between your ball and the hole'.

I found this theory to be ever true yesterday as I had the chance
to golf at The Mill in Cobourg with Sarah's dad and brother-in-law.
Putting is easily and without question the worst part of my golf
game. I've always been decent at chipping and hitting with irons
while maintaining an okay grasp of driving off the tee. Putting,
however - awful. I did find, though, that during the holes where I
four and (yes) five-putted, I was often over-thinking the lay of the
land and how to read the putt and all that crap. I found myself
improving a great deal when I just eyed up the line between my
ball and the hole and just givin 'er.

Although golf is a pretty bourgeoisie, white-collar game, it was
an interesting lesson to learn first hand. Do I often over-think
seemingly windy paths that are often a straight line from A
to B? Am I wasting time in the over-thinking process instead
of jumping out of the airplane of reckless abandon?

Who knows.

website statistics