Saturday, August 22, 2009

Big Bad Bruce
http://www.cockburnproject.net/news/images/2008/bruce_cockburn_15may08_ironhorse_2.jpg
So, I spent another day at the Folk Fest and seeing that I could
get in for free, we decided to get a pass so Sarah could get in
too (2 for the price of 1 ain't bad). I had the chance (in the
mid-threaten-to-rain afternoon) to speak with and interview
The Good Lovelies. I had heard much about this triple-lady-
assault but I had never seen them live (and seeing as Kerri
is a mutual friend, I figured I could slot them in for an
interview). We had a good time talking about Cobourg, the
Durham region, Port Hope, Christine Bougie, making videos
and all things good and lovely. They are really cool and
down to earth folks and kicked serious ass in an opening
slot for Mr. Bruce Cockburn. Their vocals pierced through
the night and shot out harmonic sweetness.

After the ladies left the stage (even after a standing O) , it
was time for Bruce. To this point in my life, I had never
seen Bruce live but I can't say he hasn't been a background
influence as he's pretty much been making music for as
long as I've been alive. The man is a Canadian Icon and
a folkloric figure of sorts. I was eager to see what he would
be like on stage. I guess I pictured a full band - but no. It
was just him and his amazing guitar (and a really bright
pink shirt!). I've never heard someone fill up a
festival-sized space so well with only an acoustic guitar
and a voice. The sound was so full and colourful. He
finger-picked and spanned ranges of twenty years
between songs (and even played the song that was
somewhat made famous by The Barenaked Ladies called
'Lovers In A Dangerous Time'). It was a sight to behold.

It was weird to think that this man, on stage, had been
a close personal friend to Bill Mason and that I was
sitting about 50 yards away and had known Bill through
my family and had been to Bill's house. I wondered how
much Bill's life had influenced Bruce in every strum and
song that came out of the beautiful sound system.
I thought about talking to him after the show...but we
left early and I sorta chickened out.

I mean, come on...he's Bruce!

website statistics