Tuesday, November 17, 2009

REO Speedwagon and how the west was won
And I can't fight this feeling anymore.

I remember when my brother first got an REO Speedwagon cassette.
My cool Aunt Ruth who had a funky apartment in Ottawa gave it
to Adam to borrow. At that time, Ruth was dating a guy named 'Yon'.
Yon was sort of a hipster and had longer hair. We once went to their
apartment and had a barbeque out back of the apartment, on a
rickety steel fire escape. The bbq was one of those tiny, round
charcoal units.

Ruth was always into rock music - much to her mother's (my
grandmother's) dismay. After Adam borrowed the tape, he had
to spend a night or two (for whatever reason) at my grandma's
house on Linden Terrace. Adam was staying in the orange flowered
wallpaper spare room with the little white wind-up clock. As he
left his things in the room, Grandma came by the room later and
found the Speedwagon tape in his duffle bag. It had a picture of
a bare-leg-exposed lady on the cover in white lights. I believe
my grandma asked Adam why he listened to music with pictures
of harlots on the cover, or something like that. Adam cried.

*The above story was somewhat fictionalized for comedic value.

website statistics