Saturday, January 15, 2011

Calm Blue Ocean


We tend to forget about what's underneath if what we are looking at is
pleasing to the eye. That's humanity for ya - in a nutshell. Easily swayed.
Rabbit-esque in our tendency to chase dangling carrots. Appearing
'put-together' on the surface while below the depths, we are tumourous,
bulbous and grotesque.

'Calm Blue Ocean' was one of those early 90's relaxation phrases that
hipsters and yuppies would repeat to themselves over and over in their
Wall Street offices before their stocks turned down half a point. We
want the quick fix. We want things to happen but we don't want to work
at it. We want to wake up and start making money as soon as our
eyelids un-crust. We want everything to be okay.

But a lot of the time, everything is not okay.

I guess I always wanted to be a role model to others. I wanted to get
married and live the white Christian dream. I wanted to start some kind
of ministry and even go to school for an MDiv or something of that
nature. I wanted to play worship music and work full-time in a ministerial
capacity.

But more and more, I'm saw that this was not my dream - but a dream
supplanted in me by those around me in my university years. I liked
hangin' with a lot of hilarious people - and to their credit, those people
didn't need any drugs or diuretics to be funny. It was a natural high to
laugh. I laughed a lot. And I made some great friends with those folks.
And some of them are still good friends to this day.

What seemed unnatural to me, though, was the straight line. I was
always kind of a wavy guy. I liked making my own lines. As a good
friend once said to me during breakfast 'You can't put a fence around
McKechnie! You put up fences, and he'll just jump over them! He
needs to be free!'

Right now, there is a lot underneath. I'm dealing. Working. Thinking.
Talking. Dissecting.

The blue ocean is only really calm for stretches of days in the summer.

I'll let you know how it goes.

website statistics