Monday, January 10, 2011

Zen Winter's Nap

The above is a short film I composed over Christmas break with the
help of my brother and two cousins. Putting it together from a random
smattering of clips made me realize that I really love filmmaking and
that it may be something I want to pursue down the road. Films have
always intrigued me and I've spent a good deal of my life watching
and obsessing over random ones (Soul Man starring C. Thomas
Howell and Ayre Gross was a childhood fave and still is to this day -
those guys shoulda been Hollywood superstars) and I enjoy a few
cinematic outlets from time to time.

The film is basically about the connection between our consciousness
and the supernatural - or in this case, ghosts. The main character
(which is basically a conscious soul) is surveying the idea of being
alive by staring into his eyes in a mirror. Meanwhile, in his living
space, there are a few other spirits that seem to dwell there - and at
one point, it's not even clear if the man is staring at himself or at
somebody else. The Zen Master, however, brings some reason to the
ethereal mind with mentioning 'coffee' (therein referring to caffeine
and the lack of alertness or waking moments) and later reading
over a series of natural scenes which seem to start taking over the
man's mind in a soothing, calming way.

My brother and my two cousins have toyed with the idea of making
small films & documentaries for a while and I think it is something
we are going to actuate in the near future.

Stay Tuned.

website statistics