Friday, February 04, 2011

Mancation 2.5 (Hip Hop Guy)



Kingston.


The site of many dreams and demises of mine. 

Where stress will often decline.


Where civility and joy never seem to align.

There is something about this city that allows to me be inconspicuous and out
of the eyes of most people. I feel safe. I feel like I can do pretty much anything
and function as much as I need to the next day.

Friday night, I made my way to K town for a usual onslaught of activity -
band rehearsal, going over tracks with Ben and then drinking sloppily with
two friends (one of whom I didn't even know was in town) - Tay and Shay.
After my practice had finished, I had an offer to stay in town but I realized
that I needed to back early for an appointment on saturday morning and
couldn't afford to stay over. I also felt a bit of a malaise and I wasn't sure
why. I had dropped off Ben and Bren at their various living spaces and was
going to meet with Dave (another K town friend) but hadn't heard anything.

I sat in my car on Princess for a moment, admiring the view of the
snowy bustle.

'Doodle-dee.' (that's the sound an iPhone makes when it gets a text).

It was Taylor.
'Matt - I am staying with Shane tonight in K town. On our way
back from Brockville. Get ready to rip shit up'.

My spirits were lifted.

Team Mancation was going to assemble once again.

The three of us convened quickly to discuss a late night game plan.

Shane hates being called 'Shay' which is why his name was dubbed as such
a long time ago. Taylor hates being called 'Tay' even more than Shane hates
his nickname. They both call me 'Old Dirty'. So it's all even keel. We hit
up one of our favourite spots - a dirty, suburban pool hall called 'Raxx'.

Raxx has a lot of live bands and a massive amount of pool tables and an
even larger amount of zany cougar women. It's a sight to behold.

As the three of us sat down to survey the scene and enjoy some ice cold
Rickards (a beer I don't love but one that 'does the trick' when you need
something cold and dark). About 5 minutes after we sat down, a large
hip-hop dude (who will later be referred to as 'hip-hop-guy') with a sideways
red baseball cap was talking up Tay in a very close way. None of us were
sure what it was but we could tell that something was slightly 'off' with
this guy. Taylor then ordered a second pitcher, filling the table with 2
full pitchers of beer.

He became our project for the night. He also wanted to contribute
money to a new pitcher of beer - which arrived shortly. He disclosed
to his new best friend (Tay) that he was a hip hop dance instructor.
He was also very touchy feely and a close-talker.

3 pitchers. On the table. Full.

As Shane decided that we should all have a quick dance on the crowded
dance floor before the lights came on, we moved to the floor and hip
hop guy came with.

He wasn't kidding - he was a hip hop instructor, all right. He danced
with some moves that Step Up 4 will likely patent.

Within minutes, we were looking for hip hop guy
and as it turned out, he was in the middle of a big scuffle. We tried to
help him out but it was a lot of shouting and finger-pointing with
fist-pumpers. Later on, even though I was extending a hand to try and
get him away from the fight, he thanked Tay for helping him and
drank a half glass of beer.

We left the bar in a haze.

Hip hop guy hasn't been seen since.

Shay, Tay and I made some memories friday night, to be sure.

website statistics