Friday, April 29, 2011

I Never Want To Die

The themes, melodies and Butch Vig-produced guitar infusions on this
record keep looping in my mind and have been for the whole month of
April.

Funny story about the Foos - I'm a big fan but I haven't been so
convinced by their last few offerings. In Your Honour was incredible
but I found I listened to it incessantly and then its lustre faded. Echoes,
Silence, Patience and Grace was similar but I didn't even listen to it
for as long as IYH.

Wasting Light, however, is a journey of the mind, the soul, the guitar,
the drum and the ever-present question; when will it all end? It's
very interesting how this album has become ingrained into my
being this month as I did, in fact, have a moment where I thought
my time was up (the car accident). This album is monolithic in its
scope and its accomplished sound and structure. In fact, while
driving from Port Hope to Ottawa a few weeks ago, I literally drove
off the 401 to get it. It reeled me in. It lured me. It enveloped me.

Grohl's raspy refrain in the final track (that repeats 'I never want to
die' over and over again) seems like a meagre attempt - but there
is truth in there in a phrase that makes most people shrug and say
'what an absurd thought' -

...but don't we all think that every moment of every day?

I'd like to stick around.

website statistics