Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Throat Coat


Sweet bippy lou.

This winter, I decided to kick coffee. Now don't get me wrong - as
a caffeine supporter, I will definitely enjoy a latte or an americano
every week or two, but the daily ritual of coffee is all but gone.
In its absence, I've become a teetotaler.

There's something about the process of tea that I deeply enjoy. The
boiling. The steeping. The small sips that tell you its way too hot.
The waiting. The guzzling.

The absolute lack of sugar or cream or any other artery hardening
substances - and the entry of natural root plants from the earth.

Funny sidebar: earlier this winter, I was obsessed with the throat
coat tea (especially when I had a show and needed to sing). I
brought two bags with me on a trip to Queens when we played a
show on campus in February. I had a cup at about 3 pm with a
friend, but on my very first sip, I scalded the back of my mouth
and throat badly. It did not, in fact, 'coat' my throat. It peeled
back layers of skin. Luckily, the burn was not that bad and I was
still able to sing fine.

I'm having another cup today and guess what? Burned my mouth
again on the first sip. But DAMN it tastes good.

website statistics