Saturday, May 14, 2011

Wedding Season Opener






















The older I get, the more weddings seem to stack up - both in
the amount of invites and folks I know who are getting hitched.

Weddings are strange animals.

Sure - they are fun and a glorious celebration of good things to
come - but they also suck up a full day and usually require you
to spend money of some kind. There's the cynic in me.

The idealist in me, however, usually prevails and I can say that
seeing my good friend Scott get married this past weekend was
a real treat. Scott was an old roomie on mine from my Guelph
days and seeing that I'm in my early/mid thirties, it's hard to picture
more friends of my exact age getting married soon. Scott was
always a decent, level-headed guy. He never got into too much
trouble and he had a deep level of respect for the others in his
community. He's traveled just about everywhere and has accrued
some pretty amazing life experiences.

I was very happy for him.

The wedding also took me back to some pretty smooth Guelph
memoirs that had myself and a few friends of Scott's in cahoots.
Guelph was a pretty pivotal place in my life. I will always look
upon that city with fondness as I learned many life lessons there.
I connected in community with others like I never had before.
I grew a consciousness. I took long walks around the city and
across the campus. I spoke to the Maker - and He spoke to me.

Bless Scott. Bless Guelph.
Amen.

website statistics