Saturday, June 11, 2011

Big Band Saturday

Today is the day. For a few weeks now, I've been rehearsing a set of
23 cover songs with 3 other guys here in Port Hope. We are playing
at a charity event tonight and actually getting paid for it. The songs
are mostly top 40 material (with smatterings from different decades)
but it has been a bit of a new and challenging endeavour for me
to play covers.

My brother has played in cover bands many times (which illustrates
his stronger financial sense than my own) but I've only ever really
played original music in a live setting. It's quite an undertaking to
study, learn and adapt the playing techniques of others into the
instrument that you play.

I've enjoyed the process and tonight should be a lot of fun (thank
heavens it's an open bar event). Many hours of walking through the
'Billie Jean' bassline and straining my voice for motown harmonies
is all culminating to this very evening.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Thunder growls in the distance.

website statistics